The Shwedagon Pagoda officially named Shwedagon Zedi Daw and also known as the Great Dagon Pagoda and the Golden Pagoda, is a gilded stupa located in Yangon, Myanmar. The 99 metres (325 ft) tall pagoda is situated on Singuttara Hill, to the west of Kandawgyi Lake, and dominates the Yangon skyline. Shwedagon Pagoda is the most sacred Buddhist pagoda in Myanmar, as it is believed to contain relics of the four previous Buddhas of the present kalpa. These relics include the staff of Kakusandha, the water filter of Koṇāgamana, a piece of the robe of Kassapa, and eight strands of hair from the head of Gautama.
The Sule Pagoda is a Burmese stupa located in the heart of downtown Yangon, occupying the centre of the city and an important space in contemporary Burmese politics, ideology and geography. According to legend, it was built before the Shwedagon Pagoda during the time of the Buddha, making it more than 2,500 years old. Burmese legend states that the site for the Shwedagon Pagoda was asked to be revealed from an old nat who resided at the place where the Sule Pagoda now stands. The Sule Pagoda has been the focal point of both Yangon and Burmese politics. It has served as a rallying point in both the 1988 uprisings and 2007 Saffron Revolution.
The Botataung Pagoda also spelled Botahtaung; literally "1000 military officers") is a famous pagoda located in downtown Yangon, Myanmar, near the Yangon river. The pagoda was first built by the Mon around the same time as was Shwedagon Pagoda according to local belief, over 2500 years ago, and was known as Kyaik-de-att in Mon language. The pagoda is hollow within, and houses what is believed to be a sacred hair of Gautama Buddha The Botataung Pagoda was completely destroyed during World War II, and was rebuilt after the war.
Kaba Aye Pagoda also spelt Gaba Aye Pagoda; lit. World Peace Pagoda), formally Thiri Mingala Gaba Aye Zedidaw, is a pagoda located on Kaba Aye Road, Mayangon Township, Yangon, Myanmar. The pagoda was built in 1952 by U Nu in preparation for the Sixth Buddhist Council that he held from 1954-1956. The pagoda measures 111 feet (34 m) high and is also 111 feet (34 m) around the base. The pagoda is located approximately 11 km north of Yangon, a little past the Inya Lake Hotel. The Maha Pasana Guha (great cave) was built simultaneously with the Kaba Aye Pagoda and is located in the same complex. The cave is a replica of the Satta Panni cave, located in India, where the first Buddhist Synod was convened. The six entrances of The Maha Pasana Cave symbolize the Sixth Great Synod. The cave is 455 feet (139 m) long and 370 feet (110 m) wide. Inside, the assembly hall is 220 feet (67 m) long and 140 feet (43 m) wide.
Chaukhtatgyi Buddha Temple is the most well-known Buddhist temple in Bahan Township, Yangon, Yangon Region, Myanmar. It houses one of the most revered reclining Buddha images in the country. The Buddha image is 66 metres (217 ft) long, and one of the largest in Burma. The construction was sponsored by a wealthy Burmese Buddhist, Sir Po Tha, in 1899. The image was completed in 1907 by another construction company, but was not proportioned correctly, and the Buddha's face had an aggressive expression. The old Buddha image in 1900 In the 1950s, the old Buddha image was demolished and temple trustees began work to replace the image, under the supervision of U Thaung, a master craftsman from Tavoy (now Dawei). Large glass eyes with dimensions of 1.77 by .58 metres (5 ft 10 in × 1 ft 11 in) were custom-created at Naga Glass Factory. The Buddha image was consecrated in 1973.
The Maha Wizaya Pagoda is a pagoda located on Shwedagon Pagoda Road in Dagon Township, Yangon, Myanmar. The pagoda, built in 1980, is located immediately south of the Shwedagon Pagoda on Dhammarakhita Hill. The enshrined relics were contributed by the King of Nepal, while the pagoda's hti (umbrella) was consecrated by Ne Win, the country's former leader. The construction of this particular pagoda is believed by some scholars to have been a form of merit-making on the part of Ne Win. The pagoda was built to commemorate the convening of the First Congregation of All Orders for the Purification, Perpetuation and Propagation of Sasana in 1980, which formed the State Sangha Maha Nayaka Committee, a governmental regulatory body of Buddhist monks.
Kyauktawgyi Buddha Temple is a Buddhist temple located on Mindhamma Hill on Mingaladon Township, Yangon, Burma. The temple houses a 25 feet (7.6 m) feet tall Buddha called the Loka Chantha Abhaya Labha Muni , which is carved out of a single piece of white marble quarried in Sagyin Hill, Madaya Township, Mandalay Region. The image weighs approximately 560 tons. The Buddha is carved making the abhayamudra , the gesture of fearlessness. The marble image was transported using a special railroad carriage, which was then placed on a 200 feet (61 m) long barge donated by the Asia World Company.The barge was pushed down the Irrawaddy River by three steamers, stopping along major towns before reaching Yangon. The barge was accompanied by a fleet of decorated ceremonial boats. The marble image landed at Gyogon, Insein Township on 5 August 2000 to an audience of 500,000 people, including government officials from the State Peace and Development Council, including Than Shwe, his wife Kyaing Kyaing, and Khin Nyunt.The image was then carried atop Mindhamma Hill using a special railway carriage requiring 4 locomotives, on 10 August.The partially carved image was finished and erected at an auspicious location designated by astrologers (aung myay, lit. "victory grounds"), where it is currently housed.The Buddha image was consecrated in February 2002.This Buddhist project was reportedly a yadaya exercise to avert misfortune.The Kyauktawgyi Buddha Temple was built on the site of the former Nine Mile Cemetery.
The Taukkyan War Cemetery is a cemetery for Allied soldiers from the British Commonwealth who died in battle in Burma during the Second World War. The cemetery is in the village of Taukkyan, about 25 kilometres (16 mi) north of Yangon on Pyay Road. It is maintained by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission. The cemetery contains the graves of 6,374 soldiers who died in the Second World War, the graves of 52 soldiers who died in Burma during the First World War, and memorial pillars with the names of over 27,000 Commonwealth soldiers who died in Burma during the Second World War but who have no known grave. There are 867 graves that contain the remains of unidentified soldiers. It is one of the most visited and high rated war sites of all Asia.
Hlawga National Park is a national park located in Mingaladon, Yangon Division, Myanmar, 22 miles (35 km) north of Yangon. The 1540-acre (623-hectare) park includes an 818-acre (313 hectare) wildlife park, a 62-acre (25-hectare) mini-zoo and a 660-acre (267-hectare) buffer zone. First established as an environmental education center in 1982, the national park is a popular day-trip destination with Yangonites and ecotourists.
Inya Lake is the largest lake in Yangon, Burma (Myanmar), a popular recreational area for Yangonites, and a famous location for romance in popular culture. Located 6 miles (10 km) north of downtown Yangon, Inya Lake is bounded by Parami Road on the north, Pyay Road on the west, Inya Road on the southwest, University Avenue on the south, and Kaba Aye Pagoda Road on the east.
Kandawgyi Lake is one of two major lakes in Yangon, Burma (Myanmar). Located east of the Shwedagon Pagoda, the lake is artificial; water from Inya Lake is channelled through a series of pipes to Kandawgyi Lake. It was created to provide a clean water supply to the city during the British colonial administration.It is approximately 5 miles (8 km) in circumference, and has a depth of 20 to 45 inches (50 to 115 cms). The 150-acre (61 ha) lake is surrounded by the 110-acre (45 ha) Kandawgyi Nature Park, and the 69.25-acre (28-hectare) Yangon Zoological Gardens, which consists of a zoo, an aquarium and an amusement park.
Bogyoke Aung San Market is a major bazaar located in Pabedan township in central Yangon, Myanmar. Known for its colonial architecture and inner cobblestone streets, the market is a major tourist destination, dominated by antique, Burmese handicraft and jewellery shops, art galleries, and clothing stores. Bogyoke Market is a popular black market location to exchange currency. The market also has a number of stores for local shoppers, selling medicine, foodstuffs, garments and foreign goods.
Yangon City Hall is the city hall of Yangon, the largest city of Burma, and the seat of the city's administrative body, Yangon City Development Committee (YCDC). The building is considered a fine example of syncretic Burmese architecture, featuring traditional tiered roofs called pyatthat, and was designed by Burmese architect U Tin, who also designed Central Railway Station. Construction began in 1926 and ended in 1936. The city hall occupies the former site of the Ripon Hall. The city hall has been the focal point of several major political demonstrations, including a 1964 People's Peace Committee rally supported by Thakin Kodaw Hmaing, which attracted 200,000 people and was subsequently clamped down by the Socialist regime. and the site of several bombings, including one in 2000, 2008, and 2009. Centrally located in downtown Yangon, it is next to several important landmarks such as Sule Pagoda, Maha Bandula Park, High Court, and the Main Post Office. The building is listed on the Yangon City Heritage List
The National Museum (Yangon), located in Dagon, Yangon, is the one of the national museum of Burmese art, history and culture in Myanmar. Founded in 1952, the five-story museum has an extensive collection of ancient artifacts, ornaments, works of art, inscriptions and historic memorabilia, related to history, culture and civilization of Burmese people.
The People's Square and Park (Burmese: ပြည်သူ့ဥယျာဉ်) is one of the major parks surrounding the Shwedagon Pagoda in Yangon, Myanmar. Located west of the great pagoda to the former Pyithu Hluttaw (People's Parliament) complex, the 135.72 acre (54.92-hectare) park is bounded by Pyay Road to its west, U Wisara Road to its east, Dhammazedi Road to its north and Ahlone Road to its south. The area had been part of the palace grounds of Queen Shin Sawbu and later a golf course for some years during the colonial days. A little over half of the complex is the 70.3-acre (284,000 m2) People's Square. A flower- and tree-lined marble esplanade starting from Pyithu Hluttaw towards the Shwedagon Pagoda is the center piece of the square. Over a thousand trees and plants from 52 species make up the square. Pyidaungsu Ayeyeik Nyein occupies a corner of the Square and holds a permanent exhibition of dioramas of various Burmese ethnic groups, specimens of valuable timber and gemstones from various parts of the country. People's Park occupies 65.42 acres (264,700 m2) adjacent to the square in the north. Over 3,000 plants including 72 species of trees, 12 species of bamboo and 50 species of shrubs and climbers indigenous to various parts of the country are planted in this park. botanical maze, flower displays, fruit trees and medicinal herbs account for an additional 17,000 flowering plants.
The former High Court Building is an iconic colonial-era building located at No. 89/133 Pansodan Street, between Maha Bandula Garden Street and Pansodan Street in Kyauktada Township, downtown Yangon. Until 2006, the Supreme Court of Myanmar was located at this complex. The High Court Building was designed by architect James Ransome, construction of the High Court began in 1905 and was completed in 1911, and is noted for its British Queen Anne Style architecture, including its clock tower and its red-bricked exterior. The building is listed on the Yangon City Heritage List. Located near Yangon City Hall, the building faces the Independence Monument and the Maha Bandula Park.
The Maha Bandula Park or Maha Bandula Garden , also spelt Mahabandula or Mahabandoola) is a public park, located in downtown Yangon, Burma. The park is bounded by Maha Bandula Garden Street in the east, Sule Pagoda Road in the west, Konthe Road in the south and Maha Bandula Road in the north, and is surrounded by some of the important buildings in the area such as the Sule Pagoda, the Yangon City Hall and the High Court. The park is named after General Maha Bandula who fought against the British in the First Anglo-Burmese War